Authors and Publishers

Dear author's and publishers. I would love to review and/or display your books on this blog. For more information visit my Policies/Contact page.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures

Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
★★☆☆☆
Reading level: Young Adult

Paperback: 592 pages

Publisher:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Beautiful Creatures is the first novel in the Beautiful Creatures series. Being a lover of gothic styled love stories and a fanatic for fantasy, I thought this would be right up my ally. However, early on in the book, I realize my mistake. The authors put every cliché remake about the south in this 600 page book of ridiculous, unedited mess of a novel.
First, the characters are unreal. Ethan is not like any sixteen year old boy I have ever met- I’m sixteen, I should know what I’m talking about. He has no hormones, I swear. I’m not saying that every teenage boy is a hound dog, but he’s just lacking in that field. Lena was a bit boring. Amma could have been a good character, but failed. And every kid in Jackson High School fit every high school cliché ever written.
I was still in my “I’ll finish a book no matter what” phase when I read this book, and it may have been the reason that I stop reading a book as soon as I start to lose interest. I really tried to finish it, I did. But page after page of droning on and on I just couldn’t do it.
I have to say sorry to the authors. You have amazing fans, but I am just not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment