Authors and Publishers

Dear author's and publishers. I would love to review and/or display your books on this blog. For more information visit my Policies/Contact page.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Book Review: Better Than Running At Night

Hillary Frank
 ★★★★★
Reading level:Young Adult
Paperback: 272 pages
Publisher:Graphia; None edition (August 26, 2002)


I happened across this book while helping my friend find something to read. I had randomly pulled out Better Than Running at Night from between two not-so-amazing-looking books. The cover was creative and fun, and as an artist myself, I thought it was just brilliant!
The story is quite mundane, but in the best way possible! Hillary’s writing style is witty and absolutely wicked, blatant and downright hilarious. It’s an original YA novel that tells the story of Ellie Yelinsky, who is starting her freshman year at the New England College of Art and Design. It does not turn out the way she plans. She falls for the Devil at a costume party (who is actually the cute, Nate Finerman). Her parents put pot in her suitcase, and her art teacher speaks in one tone: earsplitting! Turns out, things aren’t always what they seem.
I couldn’t put down this book. And after I was done, I even went and searched the author and e-mailed her on her genius, which she so amazingly replayed to! I still have it, if you don’t believe me. You really saw Ellie change throughout the novel. She makes an attempt to transform from her Goth look in high school to someone normal, and after a chain of events, she really becomes someone who she’s content with. After the tons of fantasy/fiction novels I’d been reading before I read this book, Better Than Running at Night gave me a sense of reality that was entertaining and thrilling to read! I felt happy when Ellie was, and sad and she was sad. I love the characters and the amazing story! It was a kind of love story that really wasn't love at all. The kind that was never there to begin with and still, even though Ellie never got the guy, she still had a happily ever after!!!

A must read!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment