Authors and Publishers

Dear author's and publishers. I would love to review and/or display your books on this blog. For more information visit my Policies/Contact page.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Book Review: Beastly

Alex Flinn
★★★★★
Reading Level: Young Adult
Paperback: 304
Publisher: Harper Teen 2007

Let me start off by saying that I LOVE Beauty and the Beast! Beastly is a remake of that story, however it is set in modern day New York. Instead of a prince we have Kyle Kingsbury, a spoiled rotten private school hottie who gets turned into a beast by a witch and must find true love to break the curse.
Beastly did a marvelous job or recreating the story. It was a sweet love story that had more to it than the usual YA novels. You can see how Kyle changed throughout the story and truly became a prince. Having had the book for well over 2 years now, I can still go back and fall in love with the story the same way I did the first time. The love is gradual and blooms like a rose.
I really liked the chat room idea in the beginning. It made it more real that all the other tales we grew up with were just as real as this one.
Amazing story. My only complaint was that I wished it was longer so it wouldn't end so fast. A definite must read!

1 comment:

  1. Beauty and the Beast is a fairy-tale; it's not supposed to be in modern time. Putting a story like that into the world of today seems very out of place and to me, cliche. Also, isn't it even a tiny-bit hard to change your ways; don't you think that if someone has been raised to think a certain way, and you were never taught otherwise, you wouldn't change all that easy.

    ReplyDelete