Authors and Publishers

Dear author's and publishers. I would love to review and/or display your books on this blog. For more information visit my Policies/Contact page.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Author Interview: Nicole Storey

After becoming a “Twitter fanatic” over the past few months, I have had the honor of meeting a myriad of different people with whom I have much in common, and have become friends with. One such person is YA/MG author, Nicole Storey of Grimsley Hollow: The Chosen One. Over a very short time, I have had the pleasure of getting to know Ms. Storey and I can say with all my heart that she is genuinely a wonderful and kind person. Ms. Storey has been extremely supportive and was gracious enough to answer a few questions as a guest on KniteTales and I am quite grateful she agreed. Please welcome, Nicole Storey:


Nicole Storey during her favorite time of year, Holloween.




1) What inspired you to write "Grimsley Hollow"?

A: “Grimsley Hollow” started out as a hobby. As a stay-at-home mom, I realized that I didn’t have something that I could do that was “all mine” and no one else's. I began writing because I wanted to do something for myself.

2) What is your workspace like?

A: My office is usually pretty neat. I have two fish tanks in there (a 150 gallon and a 30 gallon), and with all of the filters going, it sounds like it is raining all the time; very peaceful. My desk, on the other hand, can get very unorganized, especially when I am editing! I’m the type of person who can’t work in chaos, so I try to keep everything as neat as I can.

3) What is a typical day in your life?

A: A typical day for me is waking at 6am to get the kids ready for school. After that, I do a bit of cleaning or running errands, and then I write. I go into my study, turn on some music, and let myself enter another world. It is the best job in the world! After my kids get home from school, I help them with their homework, cook dinner, and then I try to spend some time with my family. Our favorite thing to do is have “Movie Night” where I pop popcorn and we turn all the lights off and cuddle on the couch to watch a dvd or I read to my kids.

4) What are three of your favorite authors? And do they inspire your writing?

A: I have a lot of authors that I enjoy reading. Right now, one of my favorite series is “The Hollows” by Kim Harrison and yes, she does inspire me. I love the way Kim always has time for her fans. She answers questions, whether it be about her writing or helping others with their own writing. She hasn’t forgot about the very people who got her where she is today and I respect that about her. So many other authors forget about the fans once they reach a certain point in their careers.

5) Do you have any rituals or habits that you do when writing?

A: I always have to have some sort of music playing in the background and a cup of coffee by my hand.

6) Do you listen to music while writing? If so, what kind?

A: Yes! I like instrumental music, usually Manheim Steamroller or some other spooky tunes.


7) What is your preferred drink or snack that is a must have when you write?

A: I must have coffee!!! I am a coffee addict!

8) What is your favorite genre to read and write?

A: I write middle grade fantasy with a touch of paranormal and I love to read fantasy and paranormal, too. I also enjoy books that deal with people in impossible situations such as dystopian genres. Really, I like all kinds of books except romance and erotica.

9) What can of books can we expect from you in the future? Anything unrelated to the series you are writing?

A: I do have an idea for a horror/thriller book that I am thinking of and also a children’s book. However, my next book will be in the “Grismley Hollow” series.

10) If you could change anything about your book, what would you change?

A: I plan to do some revisions in my first book to clarify changes in different point-of-views. Other than that, I love my book just the way it is.

11) Who is your favorite author?

A: My favorite author of all time is C.S. Lewis. His works instilled in me the love of reading and books when I was a child.

12) What was the hardest part to write?

A: The hardest part of writing for me is editing. It is hard to edit your own work, but having the help of beta readers makes it go a little easier.

13) What did you do to get yourself in the mindset to write everyday?

A: I love to write, so it isn’t hard for me to get in that mindset. I always have ideas for my characters running through my head. I live in Grimsley Hollow almost 24/7! LOL!

14) What is your favorite part about the book?

A: I think my favorite part is when Gage blames himself for Siren’s kidnapping and the dragon explains to him why he shouldn’t. Too many times in our lives, we blame ourselves for things that are beyond our control. It is a good lesson to learn.

15) Do you outline your story?

A: I didn’t with my first book and I wish that I had. I do have an outline for the one I am working on now. The story doesn’t always stay with what I have on my outline, but it is a good base to have and I always come back to it. A lot of times, my characters take on a life of their own and I have no choice but to follow them and see where it leads.

16) If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

A: J.K. Rowling. Her personal story will always be an inspiration to me and she showed me that if I a person really wants to write, then they shouldn’t let anything keep them from their dream.

17) What book are you reading now?

A: Right now, I am not reading anything because my children have been sick (both are scheduled for surgeries this month), but I read several over the past couple of weeks, including “Keiko’s House” by Hugh Ashton, K.L. Nappier’s “Full Wolf Moon” series, and “Cicada” by Belle Whittington. I plan on starting M. Edward McNally’s “Norothian Cycle” series as soon as I get a moment.



18) Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

A: Oh yes! K.L. Nappier, Erik Gustafson, Stephen Hise, Kristina Jackson, Belle Whittington, William G. Jones, TW Brown, and many others! Most of the new authors I have discovered belong to a book club that I am a member of on Facebook called “Book Junkies”. Indie authors have really turned my head these days and it is nice to go outside of the box of “traditional writers” and find new and exciting books to read. There are so many talented Indie writers out there! For those who are interested, you can find many wonderful books here: https://www.facebook.com/BookJunkiesLibrary

19) What are your current projects?

A: Right now, I am working on the second book in the “Grimsley Hollow” series called “The Search For Siren”. Next month, I will also start a revision on my first book to polish it up a bit.

20) Can you share a little of your work to come?

A: In the second “Grimsley Hollow” book, Siren (a werewolf and Gage’s best friend) has been taken hostage by the evil witch, Inari. He and his friends are on a quest to rescue him before he is turned into a wolf forever and forgets all of his human traits.

21)Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

A: I learned that I still have a lot to learn, especially in the publishing and marketing business! I also learned not to give up hope and to keep working towards my goals because all the hard work will pay off in the end. My son taught me that. He is the main character in the “Grimsley Hollow” book and he has autism and Tourette’s syndrome.

22) Do you have any advice for other writers?

A: Read, read, read!!! The more you read, the more you learn about writing. Also, what has helped me the most is joining a book club, such as Book Junkies: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ginniefrancesreadingroup/ There are many writers, beta readers, and reviewers in this club and they offer excellent advice and will give you honest opinions on your work. Lastly, when you think you have your book finished, edit it one more time or get someone else to read over it for you. Beta readers are very important, as they catch those mistakes that the writer will most likely miss on their own.


23) Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

A: Yes! I have just been signed with Inknbeans Press (www.inknbeans.com)!!! I am so happy about this news! It is so reassuring to have a company such as this supporting me in my writing career!

24) Who designed your cover art?

A: Caludia from Phatpuppy Art (www.phatpuppyart.com). She is THE BEST digital artist out there today, in my opinion! She has designed covers for authors such as Amanda Hocking, S.E. Gordon, Jason Letts and many others.

25) When did you realize you wanted to write/ become a writer?

A: I have always loved to write, but have always hated printing! I hold my pens/pencils in a weird way that causes my hand to cramp up after about an hour. When I was 13 years old, I got a type writer for Christmas and it opened a whole new world for me.

26) As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? And have you accomplished that?

A: For a long time, I wanted to be a marine biologist. I love the ocean and all the animals that live there. They fascinate me! But, life has a way of taking you down different roads instead of the ones you plan for yourself. I’m very glad it did.



Random questions:
If aliens landed in front of you and, in exchange for anything you desire, offered you any position on their planet, what would you want?

A: I would ask them for a cure for diseases that plague our world right now; autism and cancer being the first two.

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be?

A: I would love to be a character in “The Chronicles of Narnia” or perhaps Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter books.

If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you?

A: Sandra Bullock! LOL! She is one of my favorite actresses and can always make me laugh.

If you could be a superhero, what would you want your superpowers to be?

A: I think it would be fun to fly! Oh, and of course have the power to produce amazing works of literature!

If you were a type of food, what type of food would you be?

A: Wow, that’s a hard one! Probably corn bread because it goes with anything down here in the south! LOL!

I can be reached at these places:

Twitter: @Nicole_Storey

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nicolestoreyfans

Blog: nicolestorey.wordpress.com

My book, “Grimsley Hollow-The Chosen One” is available in paperback and e-book at places such as Amazon, Smashwords, and Barnes and Noble.


I'd like to say a big thank you to Ms. Storey for being a part of my first interview here at KniteTales! Also, CONGRATS on getting signed! I am thrilled to have met such a wonderful person and have been able to read her book.
I hope you all enjoyed this interview and don't forget to comment below.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely interview. Well done and personable. I'm watching Nicole's growing success from afar and loving it. I think she has amazing potential and drive and look forward to seeing her print book success with Inkbeans very soon.
    Malla Duncan

    ReplyDelete