Authors and Publishers

Dear author's and publishers. I would love to review and/or display your books on this blog. For more information visit my Policies/Contact page.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Book Review: Blood Red Road

Moira Young
★★★★★★/5
(The Extra star for being the best book I've ever read)
Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 464 pages
Publisher:Margaret K. McElderry (June 7, 2011)



At first, I did not think I would enjoy this book like I enjoyed The Hunger Games, which at the time was my leading book. The writing was defiantly not like other books with perfect grammar and quotation marks. It was a turn off for me at first. But it took only the first few pages before I was hooked. It turns out that the way it was written added to the glamour on the book. All I could think about were these characters and their journey.
Blood Red Road tells the story of Saba as she tries to get her brother back after he was kidnapped by strange men. I was a bit intrigued with the fact that this story wasn’t about forbidden love or whatever else the YA brand has been selling lately.
I’ve said this before, that some characters seem real to me. But it was unlike any I’ve ever read about before. Moira Young’s characters are smart, cunning, funny, and just plain awesome. Usually the main female lead is all love struck and a damsel in distress type. But Saba was a strong and fierce fighter who had one thing on her mind: getting back her brother. Some people would say that she went overboard with her obsession to finding him, but I felt that it gave her a sense of purpose and throughout the novel, that was her aim. She never let that stray. Jack was just delicious. He was funny and cocky and just plain sexy! (He actually reminded me of one of my characters in the novel I’m writing.) The Free Hawks were the bravest and most thrilling fighters. Ike was just hilarious and intriguing. Emmi was bold and daring. These characters were like real people. Each were dynamic and rounded characters that I instantly fell in love with.
The plot of the story was always held in front. This I especially like, because I hate when the main purpose of the story is pushed aside and then the character goes off on their little adventure to find themselves and then finish off the book in the last few pages with a bit of action and a happily ever after. This novel was not like that. The main purpose was always first and the characters grew from that. There was a bit of romance in here as well, but is didn’t get all twilight on us, which is just what I like.
Moira Young has defiantly written an amazing book! My favorite book. If I was ever so lucky to meet her I would bow at her feet. This books is just…perfect. A MUST MUST read!Now, all my life, I’ve never really found a book that was my favorite. There were defiantly those I treasure most and would read over and over, but never could I find one that was THE best. Until now. Blood Red Road is my perfect novel. It is a dystopian dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment