Authors and Publishers

Dear author's and publishers. I would love to review and/or display your books on this blog. For more information visit my Policies/Contact page.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Book Review: Will Grayson Will Grayson

John Green and David Levithan
Reading level:Ages 14 and up
Paperback: 336 pages
Publisher:Speak; Reprint edition (April 5, 2011)

Summary:
One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, Will Grayson crosses paths with . . . Will Grayson. Two teens with the same name, running in two very different circles, suddenly find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, and culminating in epic turns-of-heart and the most fabulous musical ever to grace the high school stage. Told in alternating voices from two YA superstars, this collaborative novel features a double helping of the heart and humor that have won them both legions of fans.

-Amazon.com


So far, this is the third book I’ve read by John Green and my first by David Levithan. I had mixed feelings about this book. Through the actual reading process, I loved both Wills but then I didn’t. As usual these characters are realistically crafted and easy to relate to. There were times throughout the story that I felt myself nodding in sympathy or feeling vindictive hatred for the unfortunately dead-on portrayal of selfishness and angst that's common in most high school teenagers. What I love about these characters is that they are individuals who learn life lessons and cry and hope and dissect situations to ridiculous extremes and hold grudges and appreciate love and friendship. This is the kind of book that reminds you what a coming of age tale is supposed to be.

But then there were the times when I felt like giving up. I don’t get why his is written in all lower case letters, something that actually bugged me quite a bit. “will” was the MOST stereotypical emo character I have ever read. Every cliché "emo kid" idea you could come up with is thrown in his chapters. And I do have a few emo friends, even they do not whine as much as this guy!

However, I trusted John Green as a writer so I continued to read on. After several chapter, there is a clear shift in “will’s” character and then the novel became quite enjoyable. John Green never fails to present a wonderful character who is full and enjoyable.

All in all, this was a pretty great novel. It’s not long before you are pulled into the world of the Will Graysons. You will laugh, cry, have hopes and enjoy the time you spend reading this novel.

Buy this book:    
Amazon
Barnes and Noble

Find these authors:
<---  John Green



David Levithan --->


No comments:

Post a Comment